Kettle is derived from “cattul” the Gaelic word for battle and while the parish was identified as Kettle early on, the original building was at Lathrisk. The parish was apparently to have been dedicated to St. Athernase, but the church in Leuchars was given the dedication first.
The building in Lathrisk was replaced in 1636 by a building in Kettle where the old cemetery is situated. That building was in the background of Sir David Wilkie’s painting “Picture of a village school”. The school later became the smiddy and is now a private dwelling house next to the cemetery.
The present Church at Kettle was completed in 1832, although the old kirk was not demolished till the 1870s. The bell from that church was installed in Middlefield School at Coaltown of Burnturk.
After the Disruption of 1843 a Free Kirk was built in the village, later joining the United Free Church which rejoined the Church of Scotland after the 1929 Union.
Between 1778 and 1962 there were only 4 ministers in Kettle Parish Church! Each serving long ministries - two over 30 years and two over 50! Rev. Aeneas Gordon who served between 1878 - 1930 is still remembered by some of our older members. Rev. William Flint, his successor brought together the three churches of Kettle East, Kettle West (former UF) and Balmalcolm (former UF) as one congregation.
The present building is a local landmark, and people still value the tower with its clock as a symbol of village life. Kettle is our main centre of Sunday worship at present.
Friends of Kettle Kirk is a group drawn from church and community to raise funds for the maintenance and preservation of Kettle church, its furnishings and fittings. The group raised most of the funds for necessary repairs to the tower in 2012 and have raised funds to paint the interior in 2014.
They are involved in organising social and fundraising activities including bingo teas, sales, youth and community events and welcome new members.